really debating on going private. seems like there are a lot of people going private lately. i guess ksl put out a segment on the risks of blogging. i have not read it yet, but even the little bit of information i have put on mine makes me nervous. let me know what yall think about that.
8 comments:
I just barely found your blog a few days ago! I love being able to stay in touch with friends and family I don't see very often. I am just getting ready to make my blog private. I guess I would rather be safe than sorry. I decided after I read that article on KSl. Send me your email address so I can put you on my list if you want! Your kids are darling by the way! I wish we could see you guys more often!
This is what I sent a girl I went to high school with:
Hi Courtney!
I love your blog, so cute!
Yes. I do work for the Mormon Times, it's wonderful. And I've thought a lot about this issue. You're right about being a smart blogger, and I do about the same as you do (no address, numbers, etc.) and while I think having my blog public so that whichever of my friends and family want to see (and stumble upon it) is more important than the threat, that could change as technology changes.
So a few points to consider.
How many people find your store through your blog? Because that's an important reason to keep it public.
Living in a rural area decreases the chance of scary people finding you through the blogs, you're just not as accessible.
Do you use a reader to view your blogs? Or do those who follow your blog use a reader? Because if you do, then going private takes your blog off the reader, and I just don't follow the blogs as easily (my brother's blog is private and I keep having to remind myself every now and again to type in his address). So it's a pain that way.
If you're getting nervous (or if you have any bad comment left that scares you) I would change the privacy settings to make sure the comments are all moderated and I would maybe re-do your blog to take out the real names. I see many blogs calling their children "cupcake," or something like that. The pictures are usually fine, but with technology, it's easy to add names together and find addresses.
But really, if you're nervous or have felt like your blog is getting compromised, take it private, email all your friends and family and explain that you are, then watch to see if technology and security gets better (it should, so that blogs may not have to stay private, there will be other ways to protect them).
Finally, I'd save your blog posts somewhere else, so that if you needed to change your blog address because your blog was compromised, you could easily reload the content.
For some added resources, these are really good:
http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695263162,00.html?pg=1
http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695263619,00.html
Hope this helps and good to hear from you! I'll have to visit your store one of these minutes that Scott isn't whining on my leg. And you have darling children!
Emily :)"
We are debating that too. I'm a little torn. I love the ease of following blogs with google reader and it doesn't work for private blogs. I also love blog hopping and getting the occassional comment on our blog from friends that I haven't seen in years who stumble across our blog through mutual friends. Maybe I should read the KSL article to be better informed of the risks.
Here is what I think. Ignorance is bliss. If you are concerned about who is reading your blog, you might want to remove this word verification so I will keep reading he.he.he.
I talked to a child protection officer specifically about blogs and he said there are no threats at all with predators that relate to blogs. He works in Weber County and said that blogs are not a threat. So you decide. Love you, :)
I am debating too. Let me know if you decide to change to private. I would love to continue to view your blog.
Amity!! Found your blog through a friend of a friends link! I love it. I also went private for my family blog. I hate it, but it does make me feel more secure when I blog about my family.
Anyway, If you go private... add me to your invite list I'd love to keep reading.
Melissa (Neeley)
trevnmel@comcast.net.
Amity...Where are you??? I know you have things to blog about as I have been to recent birthday parties, witnessed crawling babies, heard about the patty cake play, and saw adorable new haircuts! Come back to us!
Post a Comment